This is a lesson that was done by one of my student teachers several years ago, Jennifer O'neal. Originally, we did this with 4th and 5th graders. I believe we spent at least 3, 50 minute sessions on this project. I was a great project, because once we got the major features done, the kids were free to decorate their birds as they wished. We had hula birds, superhero birds, ballerina birds, ninja birds...so in other words, the possibilities were endless. I did these once again with my art campers this summer. We didn't get to spend the time on them I had hoped for, but they still came out really cute.