Monday, March 24, 2014

Youth Art Month Display 2014

Last Wednesday, March 19th, we celebrated Youth Art Month at out Hays PAC.  We had a really great turnout for the show considering a few hiccups.  In the past we have gotten to show the art work for two to three weeks depending on the location.  Before the PACs opening 7-8 years ago, we always did our art shows at the high school.  After the PAC opened we had several shows there before we started to see a string of problems.  It seems over the last 5 years or so, we yo-yoed around the district trying to find the right place.  This is very heart breaking considering we have this beautiful center (that was donated to the district... by the way) was built to highlight and show off the talents of fine artist and performing artist...you would think!  Apparently, bringing in the dough comes before ALL that!  We were getting in the way of some big bucks, so this year they moved us back to the PAC and TOLD us it would be a one day show.  Set up in the morning/early afternoon, start the show at 2:00 to 7:30, break down the show, and too bad if you couldn't make the show, on a Wednesday night.   We were told we would be given invitations printed at the district print shop.  These would be sent to us early March, well before spring break, to insure that parents were notified in a timely manner.  Well, Wednesday, March 5th came and went, and we were told to be looking for them in our school pony system.  They didn't show.  I happened to be up at the school Friday, since I work half time now, around noon and they had just shown up.  I was there to pick my kids up a bit early so we could get on the road to start our 5 or more hour trip. While my family waited on me for an hour, I made out the invitations and hand delivered them to all the classes.  Now, lucky for us I happened to be there, but all the other schools didn't find their invitations till after school, and now it's spring break.  Still others didn't get their invitations till Monday, two days before the show.  It is really frustrating to see this group of kids be so talented and the people that are supposed to be there encouraging and uplifting them and their gifts, and they just seemed bothered by the whole thing.  Anyway, now that I have gotten THAT off my chest...
Here are a few photos of our work, nothing you haven't already seen, but I will post some wonderful artwork from other schools around my district, coming soon!!




My little pumpkin and her Tapa Clothe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

http://pinterest.com/pruitts/elementary-art-education/