Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Royals of Elm Grove

Another art teacher in my district told me she did these with her kids and raved about how cute they were.  So, of course, I had to try them out.  These are my first graders self portraits as kings, queens, a princess, a prince or a knight.  These were the first round of finished pieces and they are adorable.  As always I have a few speedsters, (wish I could give speeding tickets in art) that I have to figure out what they were going to do.  I hate centers, so that isn't an option for me, ALL of them become law breaking speedsters and their artwork looks terrible if I make it available.  And I can't stand that no matter how many times I send them back to work and improve, they are right back up, asking if they can go to centers and they do this till they wear me down- I hate being defeated!!  OK... (squirrel) back on track.  So here is what I did, I had them write at least five sentences on themselves as a royal.  They could write a story, tell about their kingdom, what kinds of things they do for their people, anything about themselves they could imagine as a king/queen or so forth. They are quite entertaining!  I think I may make them all do it now.  



















I told them to sign their name with their royal title.



I also read to them this great book by Leah Wilcox! Super cute and funny!

2 comments:

http://pinterest.com/pruitts/elementary-art-education/