Monday, November 16, 2015

You Scream, I Scream...


This is a project that I am working on with Kindergarten.  I first started with the background, where I asked them to fill with color.  For some kids, this is a big job, they think they will never get this completed.  At most this took one class period and 10-15 minutes of another class.  After they were done coloring with marker, I sprayed the paper with water to make it look a bit more like watercolor.

The next step of the project was to work on the paper for the cone.  We talked about the patterns they see on the cones and diagonal lines that create these patterns.  This was done with brown marker and then they used a small amount of water with a brush to spread the color.
On the next art day, kids were asked to cut out the triangle I had pre drawn on the back of the cone paper.  We talked about hand eye coordination and that I was looking to see who could cut right on the line.  This gets them to slow down a bit, and their cutting is much better.
When assembling the ice cream, we talked about overlapping, to create the right layering effect.  They were then free to add sprinkles with art sticks and a cherry if they wanted.
This ended up being a three day project.  I tore the paper for the ice cream and also cut out the cherry for them.  You may want to add another half class to the timeline if you want them to do those steps themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment

http://pinterest.com/pruitts/elementary-art-education/