Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Book of Life

This past week my family went to watch the movie How to Train your Dragon 2, a highly anticipated movie at my house.  During the movie trailer marathon before it started, we watched the trailer for The Book of Life,  from producer Guillermo del Toro and director Jorge Gutierrez. (The movie kind of seems like Corpse Bride goes to South America.)  I am so excited for this movie, not just for me.  But, I am also hoping the movie will take some fear away.  While I didn't have a lot of families that chose not to let their child participate in the cultural activities of el dia de los muertos or day of the dead, I did have some.  At the time I was also at a school that was 60% hispanic and a title 1 school.  Now I am at a school that is a higher income, still about 50% hispanic, but not a title 1 school.  Last year I did not do any day of the dead activities.  Curious to see if this school is receptive of this celebration.  Has anyone else seen this trailer?  Do you think movies like this can help people be less fearful?  Is this a cultural celebration you acknowledge in your classroom?











No comments:

Post a Comment

http://pinterest.com/pruitts/elementary-art-education/